Home        T-Shirt DIY's     Re-Styles      WobiSobi DIY's        Videos 

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Placemat Clutch

I picked this placemat up from Wal- Mart for $1.50, and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to make a clutch out of it, I just wasn't sure how.  I went home,  played with it, drew out some pictures over one of our coffee times and this is what I came up with.  
Many trial and errors. 
But it turned out exactly the way I pictured it.  
I used part of a belt that E <my researcher> gave me to finish it off.  
These are the Spring and Summer colors that I am drawn to this year, the Greens, Tans, Blues, with wood accents.  I have one more idea for a summer clutch,  but that will be another post.
How I wore it
HERE






 This is How I Made It.

Tutorial
Things You Need


1.Round Placemat
2. Magnetic Clasp I got some for $1.99 at Joanne's Fabric.
3.Contrasting material
4.Embellishments
5 Sewing Machine
6.Patience



Or you can hem the opening before you bring up the sides.
 Fold over the gray part of the circle, Measure for the other snap and follow the instructions from 
HERE Everything Mary.Com


Now stitch the placemat on the dotted lines,
 And add the embellishments you want.  
I added part of a cloth belt with fringe for detail.
 




I am so glad I kept trying this vision I had . 
Sometimes, you have to step away from something and come back later.
Clothes post later, I hope!
Happy Thursday!






21 comments:

  1. Oh Anne, I love that! It looks like something you could have bought that way - I never would have guessed it was homemade. The belt you used as embellishment is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahaha! donut remains!!!!! ;)

    this is genius as everything you make is! =) ohmygod girl keep these coming. You're so super inspiring!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Anne, again, this is just adorable! I scheduled a mini feature for this evening at Extreme Personal Measures.

    Denise
    Extreme Personal Measures

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so smart to even think about doing it, and then the final result is so amazing! Love the colors on the placemat too! Wow, you just don't stop to amaze me!
    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very , very cool. I love it! I feel a big 70's vibe coming off of it~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice tutorial!! I have a similar story with a purse I started about a week or so ago...I had an idea of what it should look like...but, I finished it, and I've taken it apart and restarting it because it came out nothing like what I wanted haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so darn cute! I love the vintage feel too. My sewing machine and I usually end up having "words" when I attempt projects like this, but I may have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Great job
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a great idea!! I have made a pillow out of a placemat, but a clutch - totally neat!

    Visiting from Serenity Now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!! Would never have guessed it's a placemat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute Anne! What a great idea, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative! When I find some patience I'll have to give this a try. =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an interesting idea. it turned out great!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. We were on the same wave-length today! :) We both did placemat clutch posts! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very, very cool! I'm bookmarking this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. I would love for you to share this at my link party going on right now. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you came by and linked up your awesome project.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How awesome is that??? Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Anne, just finished mine :)
    http://glowacademy10.blogspot.com/2011/05/anne-get-your-clutch.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the idea. I've made a tutorial in spanish, and linked you.

    http://enuntita.blogspot.com/2011/06/cartera-de-mano.html

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you. If you have a question, Please leave your Email so that I can respond. I try and respond to all my comments. Have a beautiful day!!