Home        T-Shirt DIY's     Re-Styles      WobiSobi DIY's        Videos 

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Scarf Cover up / Dress, Easy DIY.


I have been wanting to make this beach cover up / dress 
ever since I saw it on Pinterest about two months ago.
Finally I did it. 
This was super easy to make with very little sewing.
I can't wait to wear it. 





Victoria secret beach cover up


Tutorial
Things you need
  1. Scarf *2 yards by 1 yard
  2. Scissors
  3. 6 safety pins
  4. Scrap piece of tee shirt
  5. Sewing machine.
  6. Matching thread


 Cut four strips of tee shirt material  1 1/2 inches wide
 stretch the material so it make a tube then measure
 
2 of them 11 inches long.(Arm Straps)
and 2 at  36 inches long ( Back Straps)
this dress fits my size which is 5'7" 135 pounds.
if you are bigger make the arm straps a little longer
smaller a little shorter.


 Measure from the end of the scarf toward the center 9 inches on both sides.
attach the arm straps and the back straps on with your safety pins
 Try it on.
 Now is the time to adjust  the straps if you need to.

If you like how it fits, sew your arm straps on  to your scarf

Sew the back straps to the scarf.


 you can wrap the back straps around and tie them in the front
to make an  empire waist dress/ cover up.

 or just tie it in the back
I added the strap for extra support and a different look.
 Also,if you used a scarf that was 2 yards by 2 yards it would be a maxi dress.




Beach cover up or sexy dress,
you decide
Happy Sunday!.
Lots of <3,
Anne

19 comments:

  1. Found you via Pinterest!!So excited to see a clear and simple tutorial for this!! I LOVE it and am so making this tomorrow!!! :) Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is great such clear instructions...you have wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is brilliant! You are so talented and creative. I am super impressed. I need to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely!! great ideas - New fan ;)

    www.sparklychicjewels.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog and all your creative ideas of making great projects out of inexpensive t's or in this case this great dress/cover-up from a scarf! Amazing--love your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is adorable - going to pin this as a future project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great DIY!!!! Where would I buy a scarf to make this? Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target, Wal-mart,
      I think I bought this one at Target on sale for $5.00.

      Delete
  8. I love this!!! But I'm totally a little confused. How did you get the neckline so darn cute?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, I made this, and am tickled pink with how much I love it! I DID make one adjustment and thought I would share with your readers. When I pinned the straps on, I realized that the bodice wasn't going to be quite fitted enough for my liking without wrapping the straps around the front, empire style. Problem is, it didn't look to good on me that way. SO, I looked at the fringe on either end, and decided to try making a loop on either side. I counted six fringes down from the top, and tied the 6th and 7th fringe together to make a loop. Did the same on the other side. Threaded the back straps through to get a criss-cross strap effect and a more fitted look. Worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome.. I would love to see..

      Delete
    2. I made this tonight and love it too! The pashmina scarf was just a little too long, so I just moved the one strap in a few inches and I tie that one so it's on top and the fringe hangs out. WbotW, I was thinking about trying the loop with the fringe for a better fit. Very happy!

      I have a closet full of pashminas and they all seem to be the right size, give or take. It's long enough (almost to my knees) and the open back feels so breezy!

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  10. Love love love this! I, too, have closet full of pashminas and can never figure out how to wear them. We live at the lake - literally - so guess what my new "uniform" will be?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just now discussed this with someone who wears larger sizes. We've decided that can probably figure out how to put two together for a colorblocked coverup so this should be workable even if the scarf doesn't start out quite long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea to make dresses yourself, I love this thanks for the post.
    http://www.uswimwear.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you. If you have a question, Please leave your Email so that I can respond. I try and respond to all my comments. Have a beautiful day!!